Are you looking to stay away from heavy or sugary salad dressings? Sauerkraut can be a perfect alternative. Enjoy it as a fat free dressing rich in probiotics that is great for digestion. Add it to your salad whole (shredded) or even blended.
This delicious recipe yields 4-5 cups!
1 Head Red Cabbage, Shredded
1/2 Apple, Seeded
Kombu Seaweed, Soaked, As Needed
Outer Cabbage Leaves, As Needed
1. Place half of the shredded cabbage in a ceramic or glass container.
2. Press down firmly.
3. Place the apple in the center of the cabbage.
4. Place the remaining ½ of the shredded cabbage on top, always pressing it down firmly.
5. Cover the top of the cabbage with a layer of hydrated kombu seaweed.
6. On top of the kombu, place a layer of cabbage leaves.
7. Place a heavy weight on top of the cabbage leaves, making sure that the entire container is covered so that no foreign matter can enter the kraut. The cabbage will begin to foam and bubble as a result of the fermentation process.
8. Leave out at room temperature.
9. After 3-5days (if ready), discard the cabbage leaves, kombu, and apple in the middle.
10. Place the sauerkraut in a container for storage and refrigerate.