Around the New Year many people make resolutions to lose weight. But many people do not follow through with their resolutions. When I adopted the living foods lifestyle, I was overweight. However, over the course of a year, I started to drop the weight I did not need. I added in exercise, both aerobic and anaerobic, to speed up the weight loss. In the course of one year, I lost 50 pounds and I was back to my college weight. The following are weight loss tips to support you in the New Year:
Timing is important:
- Upon rising until 3 PM we have high insulin resistance. Eating simple carbohydrates, such as sweet fruit, during this time creates a tendency to gain fat.
- From 3 PM until 7 PM we have high insulin sensitivity. Eating carbohydrates during this time, there is no tendency to gain fat. After 3 PM simple carbohydrates (fruit) can be more easily metabolized and stored as glycogen in the muscle, rather than stored as fat.
- Stay well hydrated (one-half of your body weight in fluid ounces per day).
- Hydration supports healthy metabolism.
- Wheatgrass, green juice, lemon water, sprouts, and assorted vegetables help to alkalize the body.
- Alkalizing supports weight loss.
Diet of 80 Percent Raw Food:
- The dietary goal is also to eat at least 80 percent raw food at every meal to support optimal digestive and intestinal function.
- This provides the body with an undamaged nutrient repair reservoir.
Blood sugar balance:
- Choose foods that hold your blood sugar steady – Balance blood sugar using protein between meals, such as Lifegive chlorella (green algae), green juice or raw organic nut milk.
- Insulin sensitivity establishes normal thermogenesis (how the body burns calories).
- Helps reduce cravings.
- Increase fiber. Good sources of fiber include beans sprouts, jicama, asparagus, Jerusalem artichoke, radishes, onions, leeks, and garlic
- Research has shown that you can decrease your calorie intake by ten percent if you add an extra 14 grams of fiber each day.
- Boost your leptin. Leptin is a hormone that helps you control your appetite.
- Leptin also boosts your metabolism.
- Dieting decreases leptin.
- High fat foods interfere with leptin.
- Exercise increases leptin sensitivity with aerobic and anaerobic exercise.
- Do not diet. Eat enough calories.
- Otherwise, your body’s leptin system is impaired and can reduce metabolism.
- Get enough exercise.
- Exercise improves insulin sensitivity.
- Exercise increases mitochondrial (energy powerhouse of the cells) function.
- If your goal is fat loss; take no food before exercise and no refined carbs after exercise.
- Get enough sleep.
- Sleep allows you make growth hormone which aids in weight loss.
Nutrient support-Use nutrients that support metabolism:
- CLA – Conjugated Linoleic Acid
- Green tea extract
- Use Lifegive Meltaway – high levels of lipase enzymes to support weight loss. Click here to purchase.
- Consider magnesium (Eidon brand). Click here to Purchase.
- Key nutrients such as magnesium may provide exciting gene-altering effects by upregulating 24 genes that reduce total fat storage and down regulate 36 other genes that promote weight gain.
- Understand your normal thyroid function to support weight loss.
- One can test thyroid function with blood testing, including thyroid panel, thyroid antibodies, iodine, and reverse T3.
- Decrease stress.
- Your body goes into a “fight or flight response” and burns no calories.
- Elevated stress increases cortisol levels.
Chronic stress can stop digestion and create adipose tissue in the abdomen region. When one needs to test the adrenal function, saliva testing is ideal for accurate results. One of the main reasons to use saliva is that it represents the free or bio-available fraction of hormones.
Hippocrates offers a supplement called adrenasupport and adaptogen, which have several adaptogens to support adrenal function. Adaptogens help to modulate your response to stress.
There are many ways to support the mind/body for the adrenals, such as meditation, visualization, affirmations, comedies (laughter), and psychological therapy. To support the physical body, practice the following: being well hydrated (one-half of your body weight in fluid ounces per day), proper diet (living foods), adequate sleep (seven to nine hours), deep breathing exercises, moderate physical exercise (aerobic and anaerobic), yoga, and or acupuncture. Try to identify your personal stressor and eliminate it, if possible. Consider changes to your view of the stressor. As you learn to identify the stressor, you can begin the see patterns and modify your behavior.
Recipes to Support Weight Loss*
1 cup of sprouted chickpeas
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon of tahini butter
1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/2 cup of water
Salt and pepper to taste
Put all ingredients in a food processor and blend to your preference. Put in a mason jar. Hummus can be refrigerated for a week.
Raw Kale Salad:
1 large bunch of kale
1/2 red pepper
1/2 yellow pepper
1/2 red onion
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1 cup of sprouted mixed beans
1 lime or lemon
1 clove of garlic
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Put all the salad dressing in a mason jar and shake well and refrigerate.
1 liter of water
1/2 bunch of fresh mint
1/2 teaspoon of rosewater
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
Put all ingredients in a glass jar and refrigerate.
* Recipes courtesy of Zainab Fisher, professional chef who specializes in raw and vegan cuisine.
For more information on Chef Zainab’s services, please contact her at:
 Howarth, N., et al., “Dietary fiber and weight regulation,” Nutr. Rev. 2001; 59:129-39.
 Cella, F., et al., “Effects of dietary restriction on serum leptin concentration in obese women,” Int. J. Obes 1999; 23:494-7.
 AMJ. Clinical Nutr. Feb 2011 Vol 93 No 2
By Tom Fisher RN, BA
The Hippocrates Weight Loss Academy is a physician supervised program for achieving and maintaining lifelong optimal weight. The 3 week program offers the best in nutritional counseling, medical support, fitness classes, organic plant-based cuisine, and the education you need to continue the lifestyle at home. Say goodbye to fad diets forever.